Docosahexaenoic acid also known as DHA is a type of omega-3 fatty acid which is an essential components for the proper functioning of our brain and body. Foods rich in DHA are very important for our body because DHA is generally helpful in preventing various diseases such as ADHD and several cancers and it also helps in boosting the brain function of our body and thus it helps in preventing depression and anxiety.
It is generally advised to consume 250 to 500 mg of DHA per day for an adult to fulfill the requirements of the body. You can exceed or reduce the amount of DHA taken by your body based on your requirements.
What is DHA?
DHA is a type of omega-3 fatty acids which is generally very helpful in treating and preventing various diseases such as ADHD, some cancers and other cardiovascular diseases. DHA is also very helpful in reducing the risk during pregnancy, treat inflammation and also helps in boosting the brain function of our body.
In our surroundings availability of Foods rich in DHA is not more but not limited too. Fatty Fishes such as Salmon, Tuna and Sardines, meat and dairy products which are rich sources of fats and fatty acids are also rich in DHA. Deficiency of DHA can cause you several neurological disorders such as lack of concentration, Alzheimer’s disease, ADHD, change in behavior, lack of vision and etc.
Importance of Foods Rich in DHA for Body:
- Boosts Nerve and Brain Function – DHA is helpful in boosting our nerve and brain function and thus they help in preventing depression and anxiety.
- Prevents Inflammation in various parts of the body –DHA is helpful in preventing inflammation in various parts of the body like heart inflammation and lungs inflammation.
- Prevents and Reduces Complications due to Heart Diseases
- Improves Vision – DHA is very helpful in maintaining and improving our vision.
- Reduces the Complication and Risks during Pregnancy – It is necessary for a pregnant woman to consume adequate amount of DHA daily as it reduce the risk of Early Preterm Births and also prevents the baby from diseases and neurological disorders.
- Helps in Treating and Preventing Alzheimer’s disease and ADHD – DHA is very helpful in improving and maintaining the brain function and mental health of our body and thus it helps in treating ADHD and Alzheimer’s disease.
Top 10 Foods Rich in DHA:
- Salmon – Salmon Fish is one of the best sources of DHA. 100 gm of Salmon Fish can provide you about 1450 mg of DHA. About 34 gm of Salmon Fish can fulfill your daily requirement of DHA.
- Oysters – Oysters are one of the best sea food sources of DHA and other minerals such as iron, phosphorus and calcium. 100 grams of Oysters can provide you about 500 mg of DHA which is enough to fulfill your daily requirements of DHA.
- Chicken – Chicken is one of the most commonly eaten poultry source of DHA. 100 grams of Chicken can provide you about 13 mg of DHA, 100 grams of Chicken Breast can provide you about 40 mg of DHA. About 1250 grams of Chicken Breast can fulfill your daily requirements of DHA.
- Tuna – Tuna is also a great fatty fish which is a highly rich source of DHA, fats and proteins. 100 grams of Tuna can provide you about 1240 mg of DHA. About 40 grams of Tuna can fulfill your daily requirements of DHA.
- Eggs – Eggs are one of the most commonly eaten and highly nutritious sources of DHA and considered a rich source of protein too. 1 large Egg (50 g) contains about 30 mg of DHA in it. About 16 Eggs or 833 grams of Eggs can fulfill your daily requirements of DHA.
- Clams – Clams are also highly nutritious and rich sea food sources of DHA and other nutrients such as proteins, zinc, iron and vitamin B. 100 grams of Clams can provide you about 146 mg of DHA. About 342 grams of Clams can fulfill your daily requirement of DHA.
- Quinoa – Quinoa is the best cereal based alternative to get adequate amount of DHA, protein and other fatty acids. You can eat it cooked or uncooked. 100 grams of Quinoa can provide you up to 80 mg of DHA. About 625 grams of Quinoa can fulfill your daily requirements of DHA.
- Trout – Trout is also a great fatty fish which is a highly rich source of DHA, protein and fatty acids. 100 grams of Trout can provide you about 520 mg of DHA. About 96 grams of Trout can fulfill your daily requirements of DHA.
- Flaxseed Oil – Flaxseed Oil is the best vegan alternatives to get DHA. 1 table spoon of Flaxseed Oil can provide you about 48.5 mg of DHA. About 10 table spoons of Flaxseed Oil can fulfill your daily requirements of DHA. Flaxseeds are the best option for the people who are looking for vegetarian foods rich in DHA.
All the foods mentioned above are easily available, healthy and are great sources of DHA. DHA is essential for our body and we should consumes the foods rich in DHA as it is boosts the brain function of our body and prevents several diseases such as ADHD, cancer and other cardiovascular diseases. Please maintain a certain amount of DHA in your body for good health and better lifestyle.