Iron is one the most essential nutrient which is required for proper functioning of our body. It helps to produce blood in our body. Iron helps to provide oxygen to the blood. It is present in red blood cells in our body which helps to carry oxygen from the lungs. It is generally advised to consume 16 mg to 20 mg of iron per day for an adult to fulfill the requirements of the body. You can exceed the amount of Iron taken by your body based on your requirements using Foods Rich in Iron.
What is Iron:
Iron helps to generate energy in our body. Its main function is to produce blood in our body. It helps to maintain immunity. It occurs naturally in both plant and animal product. Deficiency of iron is known as Anemia when level of hemoglobin is decrease in our blood cells. Anemia can cause weakness, dry skin, etc. So this is very important to add Foods Rich in Iron in our diet.
Why iron is important for body?
- Transport oxygen – Its main function is to transfer oxygen from the lungs and throughout the body. About 70% of the iron present in red blood cell of the body which is called hemoglobin.
- Boosts the Immunity of the Body – Iron is used in maintaining and improving our immune system. It is also helpful in increasing the amount of red blood cells in the body and thus it helps in preventing various diseases.
- Prevents Various Infections and Dry Skin – Iron is also helpful in reducing and preventing various infections, dry skin and acne. Deficiency of Iron can cause you dry skin and infections.
- Prevents Anemia – Low production of red blood cells in the body can cause you anemia which causes you weakness, fatigue and shortness of breath due to less amount of oxygen in the body.
- Prevents Pregnancy Complication – Iron is very essential nutrient especially for pregnant women. It is useful in lower the risk and complications during pregnancy.
- Provides Energy to the Body – Iron is good sources of energy it converts blood into energy.
List of Top 10 Foods Rich in Iron:
- Spinach – Spinach is one of the best and healthiest vegan sources of Iron. You can eat it raw or cooked. 100 gm of Spinach can provide you about 3.5 mg of iron. About 570 mg of spinach can fulfill daily requirement of iron.
- Tofu – Tofu is one the good source of Iron. It is highly rich in Iron. 100 gm of Tofu can provide you 2.1 mg of iron. About 952 mg of tofu can fulfill the daily requirement of iron.
- Broccoli- Broccoli is one of the healthiest sources of Iron. You can eat it raw in salad or cooked. 100 gm of Broccoli can provide you 0.7 mg of iron. About 2856 mg of broccoli can fulfill the daily requirement of iron.
- Meat – Meat is commonly eaten source of iron. 100 gram of meat can provide you 2.7 mg of iron. About 740 mg of meat can fulfill the daily requirement of meat.
- White beans– White beans are the great source of iron. 100 grams of white beans can provide you 3.8 mg of iron. About 526 mg of white beans can fulfill the daily requirement of iron.
- Turkey- Turkey is a meat which provide you good amount of iron. 100 grams turkey can provide you about 1.4 mg of iron. About 1450 mg of turkey can fulfill the daily requirement of iron.
- Soybean- Soybean is one the healthiest and great source of iron. 100 mg of soybean can provide you 15.7 mg of iron. About 127.2 mg of soybean can fulfill the daily requirement of iron.
- Shellfish- Shellfish is also the good source of iron. 100 grams of shellfish can provide you 0.5 mg of iron. About 4000 mg of shellfish can fulfill the daily requirement of iron.
- Fortified Cereals – Fortified Cereals are great vegan sources of Iron. 100 grams can provide you 4.3 mg of iron And About 465 mg of fortified cereals can fulfill the daily requirement of iron.
- Dark chocolate – Dark chocolate is tasty and good source of iron. 100 grams of iron can provide you 12.1 mg of iron. About 240 mg of dark chocolate can fulfill the daily requirement of iron.
All the foods mentioned above are healthy, easily available and are great sources of Iron. Iron is useful for transfer oxygen in our body and they help in proper functioning and they also prevent many disorders and boost our immune system. Please maintain a good amount of Iron in your body for good health and better lifestyle.